Chamber of Commerce (58)
General John A. Logan Museum
1613 Edith Street
Murphysboro, IL 62966
For more information contact the Museum at 618.684.3455
Each May, the City of Murphysboro celebrates General John A. Logan Days. Named for the famous Civil War General who was from Murphysboro. The celebration features various events including authentic historical recreations of actual events during the civil war era. It is a fun time enjoyed by all!
WHEN: Thursday, September 12, 2013, at 6:00 PM
2013 RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Contest will be held Thursday, September 12, 2013, at the Appletime Stage – 6:00 p.m.
- Each team must consist of five (5) individuals. Please mark division you will be competing in.
- Entry fee is $3.00 per individual participant.
- Pies are to be eaten without the use of hands.
- Pie edged out of pan shall be put back into pan by judge wearing food service gloves. (Gloves will be changed after each contestant.)
- The person finishing eating his or her pie in the shortest amount of time determines the winning team.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Numbers of entries are limited.
- All entries must be RECEIVED no later than 4:00PM Monday, September 9, 2013.
No late entries will be accepted.
WHEN: Saturday, September 17th 11:00 AM
WHERE: Walnut Street
Besides apples, the Murphysboro Apple Festival is famous for something else. Parades. This parade is aptly named because it is considered by most to be the biggest parade in Southern Illinois. The parade features an average of about 170 total units, 30 of those marching bands, and a variety of groups and organizations. The parade also features all of the Queen candidates and Prince and Princess candidates.
- Any boy or girl between the ages of five (5) years old and eight (8) years old that resides in Jackson, Union, Randolph, Perry, Jefferson, Franklin, Williamson and Johnson Counties is eligible to enter the contest.
- Each contestant must not be older than eight (8) years of age, or younger than five (5) years of age on September 1, 2001.
- The winner of this contest will be chosen on the basis of one cent ($.01) per vote. The contestant with the most votes will be declared the winner.
- The Prince and Princess chosen must agree to make such appearances, and allow use of any photos that the Apple Festival deems necessary.
- In the event the winning contestant becomes unable for any reason to fulfill his or her duties, the runner-up shall take his or her place.
- Each contestant will be provided with at least ten (10) containers, which may be placed in any location, desired.
- Parents will be notified of all meetings, and when canisters are to be given out.
- Each contestant will appear in the Pet & Hobby Parade, Grand Parade, and the Appletime Prince & Princess contest at which time the winners will be announced.
- The Committee reserves the rights to change, delete, alter or add regulations as set forth deemed to be in the best interest of the Apple Festival. All committee decisions are final.
- On Friday, September 16, 2005 each contestant must return all collected monies by 12:00 PM to Union Planters Bank at 13th and Walnut Streets, Murphysboro. Union Planters Bank will count the money and tabulate the votes.
- The Counting Committee will place the winning contestants’ name in a selected envelope, and will not be opened until the Appletime Prince & Princess contest September 17, 2005. The decision of the Committee is final. Suitable gifts and awards will be given to each contestant, and the wining Prince and Princess.
Please Complete and Return the application below to:
203 South 13th Street, Murphysboro, IL 62966
For more information call 618-684-3200
Address:_______________________________________________________________ Sex: ______________
Consent Given By: ________________________________________ Home Phone:______________________
(Print first and last names of both parents and/or guardians as you wish it to appear in media)
Relationship: _____________________________________________ Home Phone:_____________________
Each year a Veteran's Day Ceremony is held in Murphysboro. The annual Veterans Day service program will be held at the Murphysboro American Legion, located at 1700 Gartside St. This year’s memorial is lining up to be a special one.
The program will start at 11:00 a.m., on Wednesday. The program will feature a speech from David ‘Purp’ Lavender, a decorated Vietnam veteran, and feature the Legion’s color guard. At the end of the ceremony, the Legion will unveil six new flag poles to honor the service of veterans and the memory of those who gave their life. Flags from each of the five branches will be raised around a new American flag. Afterward, a chili and clam chowder lunch will be offered.
“It’s a very important day for us veterans,” Lavender said.
Lavender said he encourages everyone in the community to attend and hopes for a good turnout. He said it is unfortunate that the true meaning of Veteran’s Day has been overlapped by the marketing ploys of businesses. He feels it is increasingly important for younger generations to understand the sacrifice made by veterans for their country.
“It’s a bad thing to forget,” he said.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars, post 7190, will also celebrate along the Legion.
Festival of Trees
The Festival of Trees is growing to include, not only trees but also wreaths, swags and centerpieces for the traditional silent auction. Also the venue for the Festival of Trees has changed to allow for an expanded time for viewing and bidding.
Murphysboro Hometown Christmas also centers more of the activities in the same historic district. The new location for the Festival of Trees is the General John A. Logan Museum in the Logan Neighborhood, a renovated and restored district on and around Edith Street between 16th and 17th Streets. Bidding on the various items will be available at extended hours as well. Last year the bidding was restricted to just one weekend but this year the silent auction will take place November 24th – 29th, December 1st - 4th and December 5th and 6th 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
Sponsorships are needed to fill the museum with the spirit of Christmas and auction materials. Any individual, group, business or organization can decorate a tree or other greenery with the proceeds of the auction going to the charity of the participant’s choosing.
The always-popular home tour will be part of Murphysboro Hometown Christmas again this year with several decorated homes in Murphysboro opening their doors for tours. There also will be several venues available for holiday shoppers with a gallery in the Logan Neighborhood open for display and sale of unique creations by local artisans and an expanded One-Stop Holiday Shopping, a mini-mall at the Davis-McCann and Senior Citizen Centers featuring items from home-based businesses.
“Every year that we do this event we receive tremendous positive feedback from participants,” says Sharon Johnson, coordinator for the event. “It is one of the few places in our region where you can find some truly unique items suitable for Christmas gifts while taking in the sight and sounds of the Christmas season.”
For information regarding Murphysboro Hometown Christmas or to sponsor a tree or wreath , contact Lisa Grode at 618-565-4167, Sharon Johnson, or the Murphysboro Tourism Commission.
Set Up for Trees: Friday, Dec. 5, 5pm-7pm
ENTRY FORM DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 8, 2009 ..
WHEN: Sunday, September 11, 2011
Rain Date: Sunday, September 18, 2011
WHERE: Riverside Park in Murphysboro
Sponsored by: The Southern Illinoisan, Withers Broadcasting
Chaired by: Kyle Fager
Registration Fee $10.00
Open Class Bike/Custom Built
1st Place Trophies in each category
* Best of Show Motorcycle *
2nd & 3rd Place Plaques in each category
* Mayor’s Choice*
* Sponsor’s Choice*
There will be give-aways, contests, drawings, goodie-bags, food & beverage available.
Don’t forget to bring your lawn chair!
Murphysboro Apple Festival
Motorcycle Show & Shine
203 South 13th Street, PO Box 606
Murphysboro, IL 62966
Business 618.684.3200 – 800.406.8774
CITY:___________________________ ST:____ ZIP:_______
TELEPHONE #: (______)_________________
Office Use Only:
Entry: #__________ Class: ________
Vehicle Year:________ Make:__________
This space reserved for the A.F. Grand Show & Shine Committee
Date Recvd: _____ Amount:_______ COC Initials:________
For more information call 618.684.3200 or 800.406.8774.
December 10th & 11th 2011
10 am- 4 pm on Saturday
12 pm - 4 pm on Sunday
Festival of Trees @ Gen. John A. Logan Museum,
1613 Edith Street
Individuals, businesses and organizations auction holiday greenery for Charities. Silent auction begins November 19th and continues through Dec. 12.
Hours: 10 am - 4 pm on Saturday and 1 - 4 pm on Sunday
Hughes Art Gallery Exhibit
Local artists will display and offer unique works of art for the Hometown weekend and the following weekend of December 17 and 18.
Hours: 10 am - 4 pm on Saturday and 1 pm - 4 pm on Sunday.
Murphysboro Home Tour
View selected homes elegantly decorated for the holidays. Tickets are $10.00 and available at the Sheley House located in the Logan Neighborhood at 1603 Edith Street. Dec. 10th -11th.
Santa Pictures with your Dog
Friends of Murphysboro present this unique event for all dog owners. Bring your furry friend to the Senior citizens Community Center at 17 North 14th Street and have a phot taken of your dog with Santa for only $7.00. The event is on Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:00am to 2:00pm
Download a flyer here: Santa_dog_pictures_2011.pdf
Santa's Favorite Cookie Contest
If you like to bake and want to help a local charity then this cookie contest is for you! The proceeds will be donated to the winner’s charity of choice. Leftover cookies will be given to the Murphysboro Food Pantry. To participate present 1 dozencookies and a $5 entry fee to the Print Shop in the Logan Neighborhood Saturday Dec. 10th from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Gingerbread House Contest
Creativity and fun are a must for this first time event. Contest date is Dec. 10th with applications accepted starting Nov. 1st. Set up is Dec. 9th at the Murphysboro Youth & Recreation Center (MYRC) - 1818 Walnut St. Murphysboro. Entry fee $5. For more info and official entry form visit the MYRC or Murphysboro Hometown Christmas on facebook.
Christmas Nativity Exhibit
Christmas Nativity Exhibit & Concerts See nativity scenes from around the world, a unique ornament collection and hear sounds of the season performed by local groups and individuals. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 7168 Old Hwy. 13 - Dec. 2nd - 4th.
Children's Fun at the Liberty
Madrigal singers and a holiday movie are scheduuled for Saturday, December 10, 2011 at the historic Liberty Theater in downtown Murphysboro. Children's activities at the Liberty Theater will begin in the afternoon and end with the Madrigal Concert at 5:30pm
Call 618-684-3522 for additional information.