Chamber of Commerce (59)
General John A. Logan Museum
1613 Edith Street
Murphysboro, IL 62966
For more information contact the Museum at 618.684.3455
Each May, the City of Murphysboro celebrates General John A. Logan Days. Named for the famous Civil War General who was from Murphysboro. The celebration features various events including authentic historical recreations of actual events during the civil war era. It is a fun time enjoyed by all!
WHEN: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 6:00 PM
The challenge has been extended. Will you accept? We're looking for the best of the best...in Apple Pie Eating! Gather up 4 of your friends, family members, teammates, co-workers, or hungry strangers from the pie shop, and sign up for this perennial Apple Festival favorite! You'll also get the chance to see our Queen Contestants get a little messy. It's fun for the whole family!
2016 RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Contest will be held Thursday, September 15, 2016, 6:00 pm, at the Appletime Stage
- Each team must consist of five (5) individuals. Teams will be divided into divisions
- Entry fee is $3.00 per individual participant.
- Pies are to be eaten without the use of hands.
- Pie edged out of pan shall be put back into pan by judge wearing food service gloves. (Gloves will be changed after each contestant.)
- The person finishing eating his or her pie in the shortest amount of time determines the winning team.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Numbers of entries are limited
All entries must be received no later than
4:00 pm, Monday, September 12, 2016
No late entries will be accepted.
Grade K-8 Division
Team: Murphysboro Middle School Cheerleaders
Members: Taylor Mifflin, Morgan Boucher, Madison Falkenburry, Damiana Jackson, & Victoria Cunningham
Team: Alpha & Omega Guns & Gear
Members: Dakota, Nathan, Jordan, Levi, & Joey
For more information, please call 618.684.3200
WHEN: Saturday, September 17th 11:00 AM
WHERE: Walnut Street
Besides apples, the Murphysboro Apple Festival is famous for something else. Parades. This parade is aptly named because it is considered by most to be the biggest parade in Southern Illinois. The parade features an average of about 170 total units, 30 of those marching bands, and a variety of groups and organizations. The parade also features all of the Queen candidates and Prince and Princess candidates.
- Any boy or girl between the ages of five (5) years old and eight (8) years old that resides in Jackson, Union, Randolph, Perry, Jefferson, Franklin, Williamson and Johnson Counties is eligible to enter the contest.
- Each contestant must not be older than eight (8) years of age, or younger than five (5) years of age on September 1, 2001.
- The winner of this contest will be chosen on the basis of one cent ($.01) per vote. The contestant with the most votes will be declared the winner.
- The Prince and Princess chosen must agree to make such appearances, and allow use of any photos that the Apple Festival deems necessary.
- In the event the winning contestant becomes unable for any reason to fulfill his or her duties, the runner-up shall take his or her place.
- Each contestant will be provided with at least ten (10) containers, which may be placed in any location, desired.
- Parents will be notified of all meetings, and when canisters are to be given out.
- Each contestant will appear in the Pet & Hobby Parade, Grand Parade, and the Appletime Prince & Princess contest at which time the winners will be announced.
- The Committee reserves the rights to change, delete, alter or add regulations as set forth deemed to be in the best interest of the Apple Festival. All committee decisions are final.
- On Friday, September 16, 2005 each contestant must return all collected monies by 12:00 PM to Union Planters Bank at 13th and Walnut Streets, Murphysboro. Union Planters Bank will count the money and tabulate the votes.
- The Counting Committee will place the winning contestants’ name in a selected envelope, and will not be opened until the Appletime Prince & Princess contest September 17, 2005. The decision of the Committee is final. Suitable gifts and awards will be given to each contestant, and the wining Prince and Princess.
Please Complete and Return the application below to:
203 South 13th Street, Murphysboro, IL 62966
For more information call 618-684-3200
Address:_______________________________________________________________ Sex: ______________
Consent Given By: ________________________________________ Home Phone:______________________
(Print first and last names of both parents and/or guardians as you wish it to appear in media)
Relationship: _____________________________________________ Home Phone:_____________________
Each year a Veteran's Day Ceremony is held in Murphysboro. The annual Veterans Day service program will be held at the Murphysboro American Legion, located at 1700 Gartside St. This year’s memorial is lining up to be a special one.
The program will start at 11:00 a.m., on Wednesday. The program will feature a speech from David ‘Purp’ Lavender, a decorated Vietnam veteran, and feature the Legion’s color guard. At the end of the ceremony, the Legion will unveil six new flag poles to honor the service of veterans and the memory of those who gave their life. Flags from each of the five branches will be raised around a new American flag. Afterward, a chili and clam chowder lunch will be offered.
“It’s a very important day for us veterans,” Lavender said.
Lavender said he encourages everyone in the community to attend and hopes for a good turnout. He said it is unfortunate that the true meaning of Veteran’s Day has been overlapped by the marketing ploys of businesses. He feels it is increasingly important for younger generations to understand the sacrifice made by veterans for their country.
“It’s a bad thing to forget,” he said.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars, post 7190, will also celebrate along the Legion.
Festival of Trees
The Festival of Trees is growing to include, not only trees but also wreaths, swags and centerpieces for the traditional silent auction. Also the venue for the Festival of Trees has changed to allow for an expanded time for viewing and bidding.
Murphysboro Hometown Christmas also centers more of the activities in the same historic district. The new location for the Festival of Trees is the General John A. Logan Museum in the Logan Neighborhood, a renovated and restored district on and around Edith Street between 16th and 17th Streets. Bidding on the various items will be available at extended hours as well. Last year the bidding was restricted to just one weekend but this year the silent auction will take place November 24th – 29th, December 1st - 4th and December 5th and 6th 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
Sponsorships are needed to fill the museum with the spirit of Christmas and auction materials. Any individual, group, business or organization can decorate a tree or other greenery with the proceeds of the auction going to the charity of the participant’s choosing.
The always-popular home tour will be part of Murphysboro Hometown Christmas again this year with several decorated homes in Murphysboro opening their doors for tours. There also will be several venues available for holiday shoppers with a gallery in the Logan Neighborhood open for display and sale of unique creations by local artisans and an expanded One-Stop Holiday Shopping, a mini-mall at the Davis-McCann and Senior Citizen Centers featuring items from home-based businesses.
“Every year that we do this event we receive tremendous positive feedback from participants,” says Sharon Johnson, coordinator for the event. “It is one of the few places in our region where you can find some truly unique items suitable for Christmas gifts while taking in the sight and sounds of the Christmas season.”
For information regarding Murphysboro Hometown Christmas or to sponsor a tree or wreath , contact Lisa Grode at 618-565-4167, Sharon Johnson, or the Murphysboro Tourism Commission.
Set Up for Trees: Friday, Dec. 5, 5pm-7pm
ENTRY FORM DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 8, 2009 ..
WHEN: Sunday, September 11, 2011
Rain Date: Sunday, September 18, 2011
WHERE: Riverside Park in Murphysboro
Sponsored by: The Southern Illinoisan, Withers Broadcasting
Chaired by: Kyle Fager
Registration Fee $10.00
Open Class Bike/Custom Built
1st Place Trophies in each category
* Best of Show Motorcycle *
2nd & 3rd Place Plaques in each category
* Mayor’s Choice*
* Sponsor’s Choice*
There will be give-aways, contests, drawings, goodie-bags, food & beverage available.
Don’t forget to bring your lawn chair!
Murphysboro Apple Festival
Motorcycle Show & Shine
203 South 13th Street, PO Box 606
Murphysboro, IL 62966
Business 618.684.3200 – 800.406.8774
CITY:___________________________ ST:____ ZIP:_______
TELEPHONE #: (______)_________________
Office Use Only:
Entry: #__________ Class: ________
Vehicle Year:________ Make:__________
This space reserved for the A.F. Grand Show & Shine Committee
Date Recvd: _____ Amount:_______ COC Initials:________
For more information call 618.684.3200 or 800.406.8774.